Thursday, December 10, 2009

TDDoC on the Third Coast



From RRK in Texas...

My first TDDoC event took place at the famous Monkey Bar in Kemah Texas (bring in a monkey and get a free drink – can be live, stuffed, some idiot that just looks like a monkey, or even a monkey that likes being spanked). I arrived earlier than the others as usual and explained the special TDDoC occasion to the bartender Jaque. To start things off right, she concocted a special drink for me (to try and do something different besides the usual Clan McGreggor scotch and soda). It was a “Salty Chihuahua”. Not a drink for those of you that don’t like hard liquor on a daily basis. It was a hefty mix of crappy tequila with grapefruit juice and a salty rim. Enough to put a pucker on even my sullen Charlie Brown shaped face. I choked it down and then figured out that I actually liked it. Well, maybe it was because it was a $2 special! Anyway, after 3 of those, I really had to switch to beer. A pitcher of Miller Light for $5 was also a great deal so I smashed through that in no time while the extra glass she’d given me sat there for no more than 40 minutes by itself, unused by my fabricated drinking friend that would have been used to fend off the TABC had they attacked the place that day and found me drinking all of that by myself. Hey, I’ve done 2 pitchers and then switched to scotch so it didn’t seem like a problem to me. This “invisible friend” wasn’t the only person I was drinking with; it’s just that my real friends were all drinking their own favs.; mainly combinations of drinks like Bull Blasters with a side of Shiner. My cheap ass doesn’t do Bull Blasters unless they’re slid my way from someone that thinks I’ll repay the favor in a few minutes. Never going to happen! Don’t get me wrong; I don’t mind buying others a drink but I’d ask them what they wanted first or would find out what they were drinking instead of ordering them some crap that they don’t like; like a Salty Chihuahua for instance. Anyway I have three friends that are willing to travel around with me for the next 11 drinking days to try out this new TDDoC ritual! I’d say a point is worthy for my efforts on this dreary day one. You can guess the discussions included Tiger and Obama and I don’t want to get myself worked up into a fury rehashing the Nobel Prize deal.

Tonight it’s Outriggers on the water! Another interesting establishment.

No comments: